To read this story click here.
Travelled to Derby to BPEC to attend the first course about carbon monoxide for trainers of aspiring registered gas installers.
Good feedback from the trainers about the course such as:-
Qestion – Did it cover expectations?
Covered everything in depth
A YOUNG woman who was visiting North Devon on a surfing holiday has died at a campsite in Braunton.
The body of Bethan O’Brien, 20, is due to undergo a post mortem examination today after she died in the early hours of Sunday morning.
See Energy Bill – Two amendments agreed by CO+SAVi put down in the Commons. Baroness Finlay and Lord Hunt of Kings Heath have agreed to take them to the Lords. However, the Lords cannot draft clauses to do with finance. Baroness Finlay has published her own amendments primarily concerning CO alarms. While we support these we do not think CO alarms are the whole answer and strongly believe in prime time TV public health warnings about the dangers of CO with all the fuels, all the appliances and all the premises etc. We are still hoping that the Cabinet office takes its responsibilities seriously and will insist on public warnings as there are warnings by the NHS about things like smoking in cars with children (seen on TV Thrusday 27th June 2013). However, we already know of these dangers from this product of combustion.
Leeds & West Yorkshire Thomas Cook awarded damages in Corfu carbon monoxide case
A mother whose two children died of carbon monoxide poisoning in a Greek hotel said she was “shocked” at a damages payout to the tour operator.
Robert Shepherd, six, and Christianne, seven, of Horbury, West Yorkshire, died at an apartment in Corfu in October 2006.
Wales & West Utilities, Scotia Gas Networks and Northern Gas Networks have already agreed to sponsor our schools poster competition 2013-2014 which will open on the 1st August 2013 and close on the 31st July 2014. We have never had sponsorship agreed so early! This is a huge help as it gives us more time to advertise the competition.
Press release PR16769 13 June 2013.
Issued by Alastair Rae, Public Relations Manager, on 01429 523510.
HARTLEPOOL COUNCIL PRESS RELEASE
Disposable barbecue death warning
COUNCIL trading standards officers in Hartlepool are urging people to guard against the dangers of using disposable barbecues following an investigation into the labelling of these throwaway picnic cookers.
Children poster support for carbon monoxide gas safety Brancaster Primary School pupils who entered a Carbon Monoxide Awareness poster competition. Front LtoR – Harvey Keeling, Chloe Groom, Sully Wright. Middle LtoR – Jordan Rumbles, Jack Rodwell and Ciaran O’Brien. Back LtoR – Ross Piggott (RP Air Testing Ltd), Headteacher Sarah Bocking and President of The Carbon Monoxide & Gas Safety Society Stephanie Trotter OBE.
When a manufacturer has not specified the maximum amount of CO in the flue of a condensing boiler, the HHIC states that the maximum amount of CO must not be more than 350 PPM (Parts Per Million) and the Combustion Ratio is less than or equal to 0.0040.
We would be most interested to receive comments about this (do email email@example.com).. CO-Gas Safety considers that this is a retrograde step and that a maximum of 200 PPM of CO is achievable by most manufacturers immediately and a lower amount should be possible soon.
A builder whose work on his elderly neighbours’ home contributed to their deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning has failed to persuade the Court of Appeal that his £75,000 fine was excessive. The court ruled that a substantial fine was necessary to underline the gravity of such offences.
Mohammed Jamil had been contracted to carry out work on the garage roof at the home of Donald and Rosetta O’Sullivan. In performing the task, he partially enclosed the flue of a gas boiler leaving it in an unsafe condition. That, combined with loose screws in the boiler itself and a faulty metal flue lining, led to lethal gasses feeding back into the couple’s home. The bodies of Mr and Mrs O’Sullivan, who were aged in their seventies, were found at their home in April 2009.