Thank you to all the friends and family of a girl who died of carbon monoxide poisoning and in whose memory we walked Pen-Y-Fan on Saturday 4th October 2014.
Following Gas Safety Week last month, Stephanie Trotter, OBE, President and Director of CO-Gas Safety participated in a charity mountain climb.
On Saturday 4th October 30 people walked to the top of south Wales’s tallest mountain, Pen-Y-Fan an 886m mountain situated in the Brecon Beacons National Park in south Wales. . This included two 20 month olds, (well they were carried for some of it!) a five year old and a seven year old. The walk was aimed to raise awareness of carbon monoxide and was organised by a girl who lost her sister last year to the carbon monoxide poisoning.
She and all of her family wish to raise awareness so no other family has to go through what they are going through right now. There will be many more events in the future.
Thanks to the huge efforts by friends and family £1,000 was raised for the charity.
Mark Aylett, a chimney sweep from Loughborough and member of the Guild of Master Sweeps did the walk in costume after driving three hours to reach the start and another three hours back afterwards.
Stephanie said, ‘The family gave us a fantastic welcome and organised the walk brilliantly. We were so lucky with the weather which was cool and sunny. Mark helped me so much by his conversation which distracted from my aching legs! His chimney brush attracted many questions from other walkers and we were able to raise awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning and the importance of chimney sweeping, all the way up and down. Scotia Gas Networks was the first emergency service provider to equip their First Call Operators with Personal Alarm Monitors for CO. They are also always willing to talk to us about continued safety improvements and we greatly value that partnership.’