Car Bags can Kill

Please see https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-william-reid-kathryn-workman-inquest-cumbria-a8849551.html

William Reid and Katherine Workman died of carbon monoxide poisoning in October 2017 when William reversed his classic car into a plastic bag to keep it perfect. Very sad case. Shockingly unexpected consequence.

Report on Deaths abroad published November 2019

The All Party Parliamentary Group on Death Abroad and Consular Services published its report please see https://stv.tv/news/politics/1442082-families-failed-by-foreign-office-over-deaths-abroad/

Frank Brehany formerly heading Holiday Travel Watch and Stephanie Trotter gave evidence to Hannah Bardell MP’s assistants for about two hours and were both quoted in the report.

Emma Jackson-Phillips runs the Snowdonia Marathon in memory of her father Fred Jackson who died of CO

Emma Jackson-Phillips runs the Snowdonia Marathon in memory of her father, Fred Jackson

Emma Jackson-Phillips is running the Snowdonia Marathon on October 26th 2019 in memory of her father, Fred Jackson, who died from carbon monoxide on the 19th April 2008.

Emma runs to raise awareness of the danger of CO

Fred Jackson lived in Llanelli. He was 52 when he died of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning in a hotel in Newquay, Cornwall.

Two men were fined for breaching gas safety regulations, following a trial after her father’s death.

Emma urges people to prevent CO poisoning and buy CO alarms to EN 50291

Emma says, ‘My father was a larger-than-life man who seemed immune to health complaints.  He hadn’t visited a doctor in 8 years. He had gone on a business trip and mistook the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning for the symptoms of flu. He told his colleagues he was feeling unwell when they phoned his hotel room and apologised for being late to meet them. I have learned that symptoms of CO are often mistaken for those of a virus.’ Emma continues, ‘The six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness. I want people to know that a CO alarm to EN 50291* will save your life at home or when you are away, even for a night. Please buy a CO alarm direct from a reputable supplier, such as B & Q.’

* EN 50291 is a European Standard which sets the parts per million of CO over time at which the alarm sounds see https://www.co-gassafety.co.uk/about-co/alarms-2/

Emma’s father’s death was so preventable

Emma thinks CO alarms in homes, offices, hotels and any other buildings should be as standard as smoke alarms.  After Fred’s death, his family decided they wanted to create awareness, protect people and do something positive to prevent more needless deaths.  Emma says, ‘Our main message is to buy a carbon monoxide alarm to EN 50291 today, unwrap it and set it up. This will cost about £15. What a small price for peace of mind. Please tell your friends and family. A CO alarm is an ideal way to show you care at Christmas.   Emma also urges everyone who plans to go on holiday this year to take a CO alarm so that they do not have to share a similar loss of a loved one. Check the CO alarm is in date and put it in your suitcase.  Most alarms last about 10 years.

Emma runs to help the registered charity, CO-Gas Safety, which works to stop these tragic deaths

Stephanie Trotter, OBE, President and Director of CO-Gas Safety says, ‘We are so sorry for Emma’s loss. We admire her efforts to do something positive to save others from the grief she has suffered and still suffers. CO can easily be prevented. People just need to be aware of the dangers, how to prevent them and buy a CO alarm to EN 50291. Thank you, Emma for your fantastic help. All the best for the marathon!’

Emma ends by saying ‘It is going to fill me with such pride to be running for such an important cause and in my team’s colours.  I would like to thank my husband, Evan Phillips, all of the Cornelly Striders and my sports masseur, Charles Jones, without whom this run wouldn’t be possible.’

Note to editors

Emma Jackson-Phillips can be contacted for interview through Stephanie Trotter.

Please post a selfie of yourself with your carbon monoxide alarm, using the handle #COSelfie

Stephanie Trotter, OBE, President & Director of independent registered charity CO-Gas Safety can be contacted on:-

Mob. 07803088688 Twitter Stephanie Trotter@cogassafety Email office@co-gassafety.co.uk Website www.co-gassafety.co.uk                                                                                

                                                                                                  ENDS

 

Report on Deaths Abroad, Consular Services and Assistance Hannah Bardall MP published 02.11.19

So far I’ve only read the forward and the summary so far but this seems an excellent report.

The All Party Group has met with or spoken to around 60 families and has spoken to around 50 third party organisation, government departments and NGOs.

I quote from the report, ‘Many changes are needed. Some require legislation, for example a legal right to consular services which surprisingly, British citizens do not currently have. Mostly, it is about changing behaviours and processes, creating a protocol that government departments, the police, victims support, airlines, airports, holiday companies, the insurance and legal sectors can work to.

We owe it to these families and the loved ones they lost to learn lessons and make common sense and necessary changes.’

Congratulations to Hannah Bardell MP, Chair of the APPG on Deaths Abroad, Consular Services and Assistance for this report.

We only wish that the All Party Group on Carbon Monoxide would bring out such a good report and recommend changes as far reaching as these recommendations. However, we do hope these changes are actually made. We in gas safety know all too well that recommendations, however excellent (such as the ones made by HSC/E on gas safety in 2000) often languish and are not implemented.