Car Bags can Kill

Please see https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-william-reid-kathryn-workman-inquest-cumbria-a8849551.html

William Reid and Katherine Workman died of carbon monoxide poisoning in October 2017 when William reversed his classic car into a plastic bag to keep it perfect. Very sad case. Shockingly unexpected consequence.

Report on Deaths abroad published November 2019

The All Party Parliamentary Group on Death Abroad and Consular Services published its report please see https://stv.tv/news/politics/1442082-families-failed-by-foreign-office-over-deaths-abroad/

Frank Brehany formerly heading Holiday Travel Watch and Stephanie Trotter gave evidence to Hannah Bardell MP’s assistants for about two hours and were both quoted in the report.

Emma Jackson-Phillips runs the Snowdonia Marathon in memory of her father Fred Jackson who died of CO

Emma Jackson-Phillips runs the Snowdonia Marathon in memory of her father, Fred Jackson

Emma Jackson-Phillips is running the Snowdonia Marathon on October 26th 2019 in memory of her father, Fred Jackson, who died from carbon monoxide on the 19th April 2008.

Emma runs to raise awareness of the danger of CO

Fred Jackson lived in Llanelli. He was 52 when he died of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning in a hotel in Newquay, Cornwall.

Two men were fined for breaching gas safety regulations, following a trial after her father’s death.

Emma urges people to prevent CO poisoning and buy CO alarms to EN 50291

Emma says, ‘My father was a larger-than-life man who seemed immune to health complaints.  He hadn’t visited a doctor in 8 years. He had gone on a business trip and mistook the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning for the symptoms of flu. He told his colleagues he was feeling unwell when they phoned his hotel room and apologised for being late to meet them. I have learned that symptoms of CO are often mistaken for those of a virus.’ Emma continues, ‘The six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness. I want people to know that a CO alarm to EN 50291* will save your life at home or when you are away, even for a night. Please buy a CO alarm direct from a reputable supplier, such as B & Q.’

* EN 50291 is a European Standard which sets the parts per million of CO over time at which the alarm sounds see https://www.co-gassafety.co.uk/about-co/alarms-2/

Emma’s father’s death was so preventable

Emma thinks CO alarms in homes, offices, hotels and any other buildings should be as standard as smoke alarms.  After Fred’s death, his family decided they wanted to create awareness, protect people and do something positive to prevent more needless deaths.  Emma says, ‘Our main message is to buy a carbon monoxide alarm to EN 50291 today, unwrap it and set it up. This will cost about £15. What a small price for peace of mind. Please tell your friends and family. A CO alarm is an ideal way to show you care at Christmas.   Emma also urges everyone who plans to go on holiday this year to take a CO alarm so that they do not have to share a similar loss of a loved one. Check the CO alarm is in date and put it in your suitcase.  Most alarms last about 10 years.

Emma runs to help the registered charity, CO-Gas Safety, which works to stop these tragic deaths

Stephanie Trotter, OBE, President and Director of CO-Gas Safety says, ‘We are so sorry for Emma’s loss. We admire her efforts to do something positive to save others from the grief she has suffered and still suffers. CO can easily be prevented. People just need to be aware of the dangers, how to prevent them and buy a CO alarm to EN 50291. Thank you, Emma for your fantastic help. All the best for the marathon!’

Emma ends by saying ‘It is going to fill me with such pride to be running for such an important cause and in my team’s colours.  I would like to thank my husband, Evan Phillips, all of the Cornelly Striders and my sports masseur, Charles Jones, without whom this run wouldn’t be possible.’

Note to editors

Emma Jackson-Phillips can be contacted for interview through Stephanie Trotter.

Please post a selfie of yourself with your carbon monoxide alarm, using the handle #COSelfie

Stephanie Trotter, OBE, President & Director of independent registered charity CO-Gas Safety can be contacted on:-

Mob. 07803088688 Twitter Stephanie Trotter@cogassafety Email office@co-gassafety.co.uk Website www.co-gassafety.co.uk                                                                                

                                                                                                  ENDS

 

Report on Deaths Abroad, Consular Services and Assistance Hannah Bardall MP published 02.11.19

So far I’ve only read the forward and the summary so far but this seems an excellent report.

The All Party Group has met with or spoken to around 60 families and has spoken to around 50 third party organisation, government departments and NGOs.

I quote from the report, ‘Many changes are needed. Some require legislation, for example a legal right to consular services which surprisingly, British citizens do not currently have. Mostly, it is about changing behaviours and processes, creating a protocol that government departments, the police, victims support, airlines, airports, holiday companies, the insurance and legal sectors can work to.

We owe it to these families and the loved ones they lost to learn lessons and make common sense and necessary changes.’

Congratulations to Hannah Bardell MP, Chair of the APPG on Deaths Abroad, Consular Services and Assistance for this report.

We only wish that the All Party Group on Carbon Monoxide would bring out such a good report and recommend changes as far reaching as these recommendations. However, we do hope these changes are actually made. We in gas safety know all too well that recommendations, however excellent (such as the ones made by HSC/E on gas safety in 2000) often languish and are not implemented.

Update on the death of Nikki Willis

Mrs Michelle Hindson

45 Fox Crescent

Chelmsford

Essex

CM1 2BN                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Michelle.hindson70@icloud.com

 

An open letter to whom it may concern. (2nd email) 

 

I am writing you all at once with the hope that we as a family may finally get some help with an issue that we feel needs tackling.

Allow me to explain briefly, in December 2016 our 23 year old daughter was found along with her friend, dead inside a modified car, the cause ruled at an inquest as carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of the car being inadequately modified.

2 years down the line and we still miss her every day,

We have been in correspondence with Chris Grayling MP, who via whatever means he has available has had an information sheet published; this is now available on the Gov.uk website.  Within this information sheet it states that under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (section 42) it is an offence to use an on road vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet, the penalties of £1000 per car and £2500 per bus, van or lorry are also enforceable, it goes on to state that it is an offence to alter a vehicle in such a way that the use of the vehicle on a road would be unlawful, this also carries potential unlimited fines.

Our daughter paid way more than a fine for being in a passenger in a badly modified car, She  lost her life.

The law is out there but no one so far seems to be taking responsibility for enforcing it.

The car had been modified in such a way that it was not safe, or road legal, the emissions produced were 1000 times higher than the legal limit required to pass an MOT, but this went undetected as it was a newer car and was therefore exempt from any MOT, this car was driving around the roads throwing out huge amounts of deadly gases and unlike poorly maintained cars with lights not working or tyres that are worn, this is an issue that cannot be seen, heard or smelt, but can still kill so why is it not being taken seriously??

So to the police I ask why can they not enforce this when carrying out roadside checks?

To the Government I ask why is this law out there if it is not being enforced?, both from a traffic problem but also an air pollution perspective.

To the DVSA I ask why are we just looking at HGVS and buses, when cars can be just as lethal?

To the Motor industry why are carbon monoxide detectors not fitted as a safety feature within cars? If you can install windscreen wipers to detect rain why not install something that can save a live.

Whilst what happened to our daughter is not an everyday occurrence, it still happened, and it shouldn’t have done, and it shouldn’t be ignored, it could happen again.

 

Information links –

www.gov.uk/goverment/publishcations/modifying-your-vehicle/modifying-your-emmissions-the-legal-safety-and-health-implications#contents

www.chelmsfordweeklynews.co.uk/news/15172840.VIDEO police release forensic footage that show what led to the deaths of Tom Putt and Nikki Willis

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-39339063

 

Awaiting a hopeful response.

 

Michelle Hindson