New press pack 2016

Our new press pack 2016 has been published and added to the website with 20 years of data from 1995. It can be downloaded from

Made presentation to Energy UK 18.12.15

Stephanie gave a presentation to Energy UK (trade organisation of the energy suppliers) about CO-Gas Safety, unintentional deaths & injuries from CO, what needs to be done to prevent these and what CO-Gas Safety is asking Energy UK for. All of the big 6 were represented by board level communication directors.

Stephanie was kindly supported by Frank Brehany of Holiday Travel Watch. This was the first time CO-Gas Safety had been allowed to make a presentation to the representatives of Energy UK.

Discussion included CO-Gas Safety’s work of:-

Victim support,

Lobbying for safety improvements,

The collection of data of deaths and injuries (677 deaths and over 4,700 near misses/injuries from unintentional CO in 19 years)

The CO-Gas Safety CO awareness competition and

The huge need for prime time TV warnings about CO which CO-Gas Safety had pointed out in 1995 and ever since .

The Corfu tragedy was also discussed along with the fact that the tour companies and ABTA had ignored many meetings with Consumer Safety International and CO-Gas Safety asking them to improve holiday safety as well as an article published in the Times in 1999, written by Stephanie Trotter suggesting an organisation to improve holiday safety (similar to the Advertising Standards’ Authority) or failing this, the setting up of an ‘Ofhol’.

Meeting with the GDNs 15.12.15

15th December 2015

Stephanie Trotter and John O’Leary had a meeting with the Gas Distribution Networks (Scotia Gas Networks, Northern Gas Networks, National Grid ad Wales & West Utilities) to discuss the CO Awareness competition.

Dean Baker, Registered Gas Installer raises awareness

Dean Baker, read our advert in the Registered Gas Engineer asking for the help of registered installers to raise awareness of gas safety and our CO Awareness competition for primary school children kindly sponsored by the Gas Distribution Networks.

Dean kindly held a local event on the 12th December to hand out flyers for our competition, leaflets including our leaflet about CO and made a Christmas tree out of pipes decorated with CO alarms to EN 50291 kindly donated by Honeywell. Dean Baker is on the right and Fiona Joyce on the left.


Attended a Pre Inquest Review for Zane Gbangbola 07.12.15

An interesting day. Zane, aged 7, died in February 2014 in Chertsey, Surrey. The cause of death is alleged to have been carbon monoxide poisoning but the family are convinced it was hydrogen cyanide. Today it was said that 25,000 parts per million of hydrogen cyanide were found at the time. New documents have recently been disclosed by the Environment Agency.

The inquest is due to be started on the 18th January 2016.

We recommended the QC Leslie Thomas who was there today representing the family with great determination and skill.

All the family wants is the truth for Zane.