Carbon monoxide detector sold at Amazon doesn’t work, agency warns
- Published: Sep. 27, 2022, 10:53 a.m.
HECOPRO digital carbon monoxide detectors were tested, and it was found that they did not alert when exposed to harmful levels of carbon monoxide, in violation of safety standards. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is advising consumers to dispose of the product and purchase a working CO detector.U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Signed-in readers now can bookmark stories to read later.
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. —The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is warning consumers to not use a carbon monoxide detector sold at Amazon, because it doesn’t work.
There is a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from the use of HECOPRO digital display carbon monoxide (CO) detectors, which can fail to alert consumers to the presence of carbon monoxide.
More than 150 people in the United States die every year from accidental, non-fire-related CO poisoning associated with consumer products, according to CPSC.
The issue was discovered after carbon monoxide sensitivity tests performed on the detector found that it failed to alert when exposed to pre-determined concentrations of carbon monoxide (400 ppm), in violation of relevant safety standards.
“If a consumer installs a CO detector that does not alert to the presence of carbon monoxide, and carbon monoxide enters the home, the consumer will not be warned of the presence of this harmful gas, making injury or death very likely,” said the CPSC.
The detector is made of white plastic, with approximate dimensions of 4.1 x 1.8 x 4.1 inches, featuring a digital display. It is generally advertised to detect dangerous levels of carbon monoxide and alert with a flashing red LED and a loud alarm pattern.
The product was sold on Amazon.com under ASIN B07T66J7KJ for between $9 and $13.
The CPSC urges consumers not to purchase or sell these CO detectors and to stop using these and dispose of these products immediately, and install new, working CO detectors.
Consumers can report a dangerous product or a product-related injury on www.SaferProducts.gov.
The agency also reminds consumers that they should install carbon monoxide alarms on each level of their home and outside separate sleeping areas. CO alarms should be battery-operated or have battery backup. Test CO alarms frequently and replace dead batteries.