There have been six deaths from CO from the use of barbecues in the last year, five in or beside tents and one caused by taking a barbecue into a cabin. The inquest of Isabelle Harris has been held and CO from the barbecue was confirmed.
Taken by the silent killer: Girl, 14, Hannah Thomas-Jones died after being gassed by BBQ in family tent on 6th May 2012. Her parents and brother, believed to be aged 11, were rushed to hospital after tragedy struck as three sisters with their own families joined up for a Bank Holiday trip. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/teenage-girl-dies-from-suspected-carbon-821719
A GIRL of six, Isabelle Harris who died in her family’s tent at a campsite on 8th to 9th April 2012 over the Easter week-end is believed to have been killed by toxic smoke from a barbecue, police said. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4245424/Isabelle-Harris-6-who-died-at-campsite-in-New-Forest-is-believed-to-have-died-from-toxic-bbq-fumes.html
Christopher Bainbridge aged 38 on 14th March 2012 from suspected CO from a barbecue which he and his wife had brought into a cabin for warmth. Penrith.
A HILLWALKER Phil Morgan aged 49, was fighting for his life after being poisoned by his stove on 2nd to 3rd March 2012. Rescue teams found outdoors enthusiast seriously ill in a tent on a remote moor. He was suffering from severe hypothermia but tests later revealed suspected carbon monoxide poisoning and brain damage. Last night, friends were praying for him in intensive care at Borders General Hospital. Medics were also concerned about Phil’s kidneys and Trudy was waiting for the result of a brain scan. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/03/03/camper-fights-for-life-after-being-poisoned-by-stove-in-tent-86908-23773085/
Tracy SCREEN (34) died, her husband and two children taken to hospital, on 15th August 2011, from Aberafan Camping Site in North Wales. Charcoal barbecue was beside tent.
Hazel WOODHAMS (30) died and her partner was taken to hospital from Clippesby Holiday Park near Great Yarmouth on 5th July 2011. Charcoal barbecue was inside tent.
Vincent CLARE (50) died and his wife was made seriously ill at Red Shoot Camping Park in the New Forest on 15th July 2011. Gas barbecue had been taken into the tent for warmth, then put outside again.
Richard PHILLIPS (38) died whilst sharing a 4-man tent at a motorcross event at Hungerford, Somerset on 18th September 2010. Generator fumes blew into his compartment of the tent.
Gary NEALE (49) died in a tent at the Small World gathering near Maidstone, Kent on 26th August 2010. A charcoal ‘heater’ to blame.
Griffiths Paul aged 43 died of CO on 08/07/2007 LPG Lamp in a tent.